I haven’t decided if I can make the kettlebells class yet (definitely not today, as I’m too sore after last night’s workout, but in future). I asked around for advice on whether I should try kettlebells or spin (the latter fitting far better with my schedule) and was advised to definitely do kettlebells, but not for as long as the class is, as kettlebells are too awful to do for 60 minutes. So now I’m even more confused! I probably shouldn’t ask people online for advice!
I just want to get a bit sweaty twice a week (I already get one sweaty session in with conditioning on Fridays) and feel like I have a bit more endurance, you know? Regular powerlifting training doesn’t give me that sweaty, puffed-out feeling.
Anyway. I brought my kit to work today, and if I manage to go to Urban Kings at lunchtime I thought I might just do some foam rolling & a barbell complex. At least I could watch the KB class going on & see how it looks. Or I could just have a sauna 😉
Last night at bethnal Green was obviously LADIES NIGHT as we had (I think) 11 ladies in! As well as loads of guys, so the gym was packed (I don’t know what happened to the “16 people max per session” thing.) I started out squatting with some of the newer ladies, then moved on to pulls with my usual training partner and her new training partner.
- Squats: worked up to 3 x 65kg, 2 sets of 3 x 70kg (was meant to be 85% – 80kg, but I wasn’t feeling it after more than a week away)
- Rack pulls: worked up to 3 x 105kg, then singles at 110kg, 115kg & 120kg. I tore my hand up pretty good on the 120kg one (and I don’t think I entirely stood up straight with it – *sigh*, 120kg is my nemesis). Then 3 sets of 2 x 107.5kg.
- Shrugs: 20kg, 5 sets of 10
- Yates row: 12 x 20kg, 2 sets of 12 x 30kg
- Glute & ham raises; side bends; cable crunches.
I got a lift home with my coach, and on the way he was having a grumble about some of the more serious competitors at the gym doing non-PL stuff outside it (e.g. strongman stuff) and how he’s worried they will injure themselves doing non-PL stuff & won’t be able to compete. I won’t tell him that I’ve signed up to do a strongwoman taster day in April, then! 😀
(Not that I’m one of the serious competitors at BGWLC!)