[I feel a need more exciting titles for my blog posts, they’re all a bit… well, the same.]
So I’m 3 sessions into my new program, in the run-up to the Greater London clubs championships. The program is a 4-day one, which I’m doing over 3 days a week, so each “week” of programming actually takes me more than a week. Confused? Me too. But the boys at the gym who didn’t take part in the Farm Open have been doing a similar cycle for a while.
I didn’t have time to write up my workout last Thursday due to OMG I’m talking at a conference!!! stress, but better late than never:
- Bench press: 20kg, 2 sets of 5 reps; 30kg, 2 sets of 5
- Narrow-grip press to 3 boards: 40kg x 3; 45kg x 3; 50kg x 1; 45kg x 3; 47.5kg x 3; 50kg x 1; 45kg x 1
(Strange progression there due to my inability to keep my elbows in when narrow benching, and Martin & I having a bit of a barney about it)
- Narrow decline tricep press (i.e. bench tilted backwards; really not pleasant!): 20kg, 2 sets of 7 reps; 30kg x 7; 35kg x 4; 37.5kg, 3 sets of 4 reps; 40kg x 4
- Tricep pushdowns: 10kg x 25; 2 sets of 15kg x 20
- Dumbbell upright rows: 7kg, 3 sets of 8
- Incline dumbbell holds: 10kg x 8; 2 sets of 12.5kg x 8
- Cable crunch: 30kg, 3 sets of 10
Not surprisingly, my arms were like noodles on Thursday night.
- Concentric rack squats (walk bar out, squat below parallel to rest bar on pins, pause, explode up): 20kg, 2 sets of 5; 40kg x 5; 50kg x 5; 60kg x 3; 70kg x 3; 80kg x 1; 90kg x 1; two failed attempts at 92.5kg
I’m a bit annoyed I didn’t get either of the 92.5kg attempts, but on the first one I was damn close (second time I lost all power). 92.5kg is my best competition squat, so it’s nice to be approaching that sort of level in ordinary training.
- Bent-over rows (bar): 20kg x 7; 30kg x 7; 35kg, 2 sets of 7
- Gym walks (laps of gym holding dumbbells): 20kg, 4 laps, 2 laps, 1 lap
- Glute & ham raises: 2 sets of 15
- Pullthroughs: 2 sets of 12
- Cable crunches: 30kg, 2 sets of 10
- Shoulder dislocations, stretching etc.
Today I’m so sore. And I managed to bring protein to work but no protein shaker, DOH. One day I might be more organised with my work food, but today is not that day!