On Thursday I finished my latest program, so I found myself program-less & doing a squat max-out today. I totally wasn’t prepared for it – I did conditioning yesterday & as a result my legs were tired, plus I hadn’t eaten enough food – but I was totally up for it.
And… I made two attempts at 100kg, but I’m still not quite there. I got out of the hole both times, but lost my form and went into a “squat morning” I couldn’t get out of. I was frustrated, but not too much, because 100kg is within sight now. And the bar didn’t feel anywhere near as heavy on my back as I thought it might.
Coach reckons my weak point is my abdominals – in order to keep my shape & therefore lock out I need stronger abs. I think I actually have pretty strong abs already, but there’s always room to get stronger 😉
Friday – conditioning
- Warm up – jog, burpees, sit-ups, push-ups etc.
- Circuits – 2 rounds of:
– 10kg ball slams
– Prowler backwards drag, 120kg
– Dummy flips
– Double kettlebell cleans, 12kg
– Single-arm dumbbell snatch, 12kg
– Box jumps, 20″ (I did them for the first time, barefoot! Only 4, but still!)
- Squats: 20kg x 5; 40kg x 5; 50kg x 5; 60kg x 3; 70kg x 1; 80kg x 1; 90kg x 1 (felt pretty easy!); 100kg, 2 failed attempts; 60kg x 10
- Bench: worked up to 47.5kg x 1 with a stop
- Sit-ups: 10kg plate, 5 sets of 10
- Cable crunch: 30kg, 2 sets of 10
I’m taking my usual total rest day tomorrow, so my legs will hopefully be a bit fresher on Monday – we might be maxing out on deadlifts.