No, not really. I hate scheduling.
So I was thinking, after my lacklustre performance after the strongwoman day, that i need to go more conditioning-type workouts, but since then I’ve been puzzling over where to fit them in. Ideally, I’d like to do another conditioning class at Urban Kings, because I prefer the class format (on my own, I don’t tend to push myself as hard). But they don’t work with my schedule. I think what I actually need is an exercise PA who can work all this stuff out for me.
Right now I do:
- Monday evening: lifting
- Tuesday: nothing
- Wednesday lunchtime: Yoga-lates (alternate Wednesdays due to meetings at work)
- Thursday evening: lifting
- Friday lunchtime: conditioning class
- Saturday lunchtime: lifting
- Sunday: nothing
(On all days I except Sunday also walk ~2 miles)
There are other conditioning classes at Urban Kings on Monday, Tuesday & Friday at 7am; and Monday at 12.10pm. The 7am ones are out – I’d have to leave the house at 5.45am (urgh), and I’d be kicking my heels for an hour afterwards because I don’t start work until 9.30am. Monday lunchtime… well, it could be done, but I’d have no energy for lifting in the evening. So I could move my lifting to Tuesday evening… but my boyfriend has arranged to work late on Mondays & Thursdays to coincide with my lifting.
There is a kettlebells class on Tuesday from 12-1pm, but it’s a whole 60 minutes, which means a 90 minute lunchbreak (for travel & showering etc). I could probably get away with that at work but I’m still pretty new in this role so I don’t want to take the piss, you know?
Today I had the idea to leave the house early (early for me – like, 7.15ish) get to Urban Kings for 8.15am & do an hour’s conditioning by myself before work. Did it happen? Of course not. I was all prepared, lunch & bag packed etc, but I just couldn’t drag my lazy butt out of bed. I will go today at lunchtime, but the gym will be busy – part of the appeal of going before work was that that place is generally deserted between 8-9am.
I had also been considering going to Foundry:East (the place where I did the strongwoman day) on Saturdays for their modified strongman training. But (there’s always a but) that means not going to BGWLC on Saturdays, and Saturdays are my favourite day (it’s when Ernie Parkes comes down; plus training is just more relaxed that day).
- Scheduling is hard
- I would like more days in the week, please
- Scheduling is hard
- This post is just a bit of an extended whinge, isn’t it?
I’m a bit cross with myself for not getting out of bed this morning. It wasn’t even a big ask – I normally wake up at 6.45am, so I just needed to hop out of bed ASAP instead of sitting there reading my emails. I will try again next week.
Monday – BGWLC
I thought I was going to have deadlift run-ups today, but no; instead I had a “light workout”. 6 weeks until my next competition.
- Squats: worked up to 3 sets of 6 @ 60kg
- Sumo deadlifts: lots @ 70kg. I don’t normally pull Sumo style, so this was an exercise in trying it out. Painful.
- “Chin-ups”: my usual weaksauce attempts with the heaviest band. 3 sets of 5
- Shrugs: 20kg dumbbells, 10 reps x 2; 25kg, 5 reps
- Cable crunch: 30kg, 10 reps x 3
- Glute & ham raises: 5kg plate, 10 reps x 3
A bit of conditioning on my own at lunchtime.
- Warm-up: 50 air squats, 40 jumping jacks, 30 burpees, 20 sit-ups, 10 push-ups
- 5 rounds of: 10 sandbag clean & press; 10 kettlebell swings
- 20 sit-ups; stretching