You know that saying about the best-laid plans etc? Well, today was the day I was going to take that long lunchbreak & go to kettlebells; except my brain had other ideas and I totally failed to sleep last night. I slept through my alarm, crawled into work late and am frankly too pooped to contemplate 60 minutes of conditioning this afternoon. I still plan to go to Pilates after work – that shouldn’t be too strenuous.
So much for sleeping like a log, eh? I used to suffer from insomnia all the time, I guess my brain likes to remind me sometimes…
Monday – legs @ BGWLC
I was completely not expecting to have heavy squats – I thought I was due a volume bench session. As it’s less than 5 weeks until my next competition (eek!) we’re back on the Ed Coan-style percentages. Normally you’d work off percentages of your 1RM, but I’m working off percentages of my desired 1RM – which for squat is 100kg. The board said 3 sets of 4 @ 80%, and frankly I was a bit doubtful I’d get more than one set of 4 @ 80kg. But… I gave it a go.
- Squats: worked up to 3 sets of 4 @ 80kg. Yep, I did it! 3 x 4 @ my British Classic 2013 squat opener!!
- Romanian deadlifts: 3 sets of 10 @ 40kg
- Sumo deadlifts: 4 sets of 4 @ 60kg. Still working on technique; so far I’m not very impressed with sumo – I don’t feel built for it, despite being short with short limbs.
- Reverse hyperextensions: 3 sets of 10
- Glute & ham raises: 5kg plate, 3 sets of 10
- Pullthroughs: 3 sets of 10
- Cable crunch: 35kg, 2 sets of 10
- Stretching etc