I’ve slipped already on my resolution to log my training more consistently. Unfortunately I’ve been super-busy with work, and I’ve also lost enthusiasm for blogging again. To be honest, I’ve lost enthusiasm for most things at the moment – my MH is pretty poor again and I’m starting to think that I just don’t do well without citalopram (the AD I’ve been taking on & off for the best part of a decade). But I want to press on with trying to survive without it, just to see if I can. Hopefully this is just a bump in the road!
Nutrition-wise, I have really slipped since the British. I’m not getting anything like enough protein, and vegetables are distant memories. It’s 13 days until my next competition, so maybe I should do something about that? Or, knowing me, I won’t. Still, I’m fairly spot-on for competition weight (72.6kg on Thursday, 72.0kg today; my weight class is <72kg).
After Monday’s pretty disastrous session (I was still battling a hangover from the weekend), Thursday had to be better. I hadn’t touched a drop since the weekend, after all!
I did Pilates at lunchtime, which was wonderful – Monday’s squats left me barely able to walk on Wednesday, and I pretty much never foam-roll or even stretch, so I needed it. I really ought to go to Pilates more than once a week.
In the evening, I had bench:
- Bench press: worked up to a nice 3 singles @ 50kg (my competition personal best at this bodyweight)
- Dumbbell floor press: 3 sets of 8 @ 15kg
- JM press: 3 sets of 2 @ 40kg (could have gone heavier but played it
- Some other accessory stuff, I forget!!
On Friday I went to conditioning as usual; then on Saturday my lifting gym was closed for a competition so I trained on Sunday instead.
You know, I thought I’d be all rested & fresh for this session, but nooooo. I think early (ahem, 10.30am on a Sunday is early; I had to get up at 9!) morning training doesn’t suit me.
- Squats: worked up to 2 x 2 @ 85kg, then 2 singles @ 85kg
So these were meant to be 3 x 3, but on the last set I hit the rack on the way down on the second rep, and oh holy crap that put the wind up me. Luckily I had spotters, but it was still scary. So I took those two reps as singles, and they were both much nicer than any of the previous reps.
- Deadlift from 20 mats: 3 x 3 @ 80kg
- Seated good mornings: 20kg bar, 3 sets of 12
- Bench press: worked up to 4 singles @ 47.5kg, 2 singles @ 50kg, 1 single at 52.5kg (technically a new pb at this bodyweight, but it wasn’t paused and gym pbs don’t count)
- Seated shoulder press: worked up to 3 sets of 8 @ 20kg
- Tricep pushdowns: 10kg; 1 set of 35, 1 set of 30
- Pullthroughs, spiders etc
I am sooooo not prepared for this competition, but as with everything else in life I’m struggling to care about it. Hurray for depressive tendencies, eh? Oh well. As long as I get >245kg total on the day, I will be OK with it.
I really must eat a few vegetables between now & then, though.