I had the first workout of the new programme yesterday, running me up to a competition I won’t be competing in (I will be refereeing it, though!) Not gonna lie, it wasn’t a nice workout. I’m still badly out of shape from the Christmas break. I looked at the numbers on the board (squat & deadlift both at 70%) and thought I would probably scale the weight back a bit. But I didn’t for the squats – I did a full 70% on those – and for the deadlifts I only scaled back by a tiny 5kg.
The squats probably looked pretty horrible, and I’m worried I’m not hitting depth properly. The deadlifts were meant to be fast and fast they were not! I probably should have dropped back to 70kg or so. Ah well.
Today I feel pretty damn DOMS-y. I forgot to bring any gym kit with me, otherwise I might have gone to Yoga at lunchtime. I have Pilates tomorrow, though.
- Squats: 5 x 5 @ 70kg, with a 2 second pause on each
- Deadlift: standing on 2 mats; 5 sets of 2 @ 80kg
- Seated good mornings: 40kg, 3 sets of 10
- Glute & ham raises: 3 sets of 10
- Standing abs: 3 sets of 10 @ 25kg