This all started out as lauralifts.tumblr.com, which I intended to use to record my training up to the 2013 GBPF British Classic, and nothing else. However, I gathered more readers than I thought I would, and I felt I still had more to say after competing in the British, so here I am.
Some facts about me:
- I’ve been powerlifting since April 2009 & competing since October 2010. I compete in the GBPF in the 72kg & 84kg categories.
- I train at Bethnal Green Weightlifting Club in London, and my coach is Martin Bass.
- I wasn’t sporty as a kid. In fact, until I was 31 I didn’t exercise at all. I’m not one of those types who played sports in school and discovered powerlifting later.
- I was 32 when I started lifting and am 38 now. I almost can’t wait until January 2017 when I finally reach the Masters age group 😉
- I haven’t lost any weight/fat through powerlifting, and I don’t intend to (despite being “overweight”)
- My current personal bests in competition are:
– 72kg: 102.5kg squat (September 2015), 57.5kg bench (July 2016), 130kg deadlift (May 2017) and 285kg total (July 2016)
- When I’m not lifting, I’m a Ruby on Rails & front-end developer for a scientific publishing house. I’ve worked in web/tech stuff since 1999.